Italy are facing the prospect of missing out on the World Cup for the first time since 1958 should they fail to overcome Sweden in their crunch play-off game on Monday evening at AC Milan’s San Siro.
Match could be Gianluigi Buffon’s last game for national team.
- Italy have plenty to ponder after their 1-0 defeat in the first leg on Friday.
- Marco Verratti will miss the second leg through suspension, while Leonardo Bonucci may have to play with a face mask after breaking his nose in the first leg.
- Simone Zaza and Leonardo Spinazzola remain doubts after missing the first leg through first injury.
- Giampiero Ventura’s gamble to revert back to a 3-5-2 formation and drop Lorenzo Insigne backfired massively in Sweden. Changes will be needed here.
- Mikael Lustig missed the 1-0 win on Friday through suspension and should slot back in at right-back here.
- No other changes are expected from the away side as they look to protect their slender advantage.
- Italy have seen under 2.5 goals in their last 5 matches against Sweden in all competitions.
- Italy have kept a clean sheet in 5 of their last 7 home matches against Sweden in all competitions.
- Italy are undefeated in their last 7 home matches against Sweden in all competitions.
Italy – Sweden | 1 | 1.60
Expected win for ITALY on this one, but it will be enough to qualify for the 2018 World Cup?